Skip to main content

It's About Time.

Kolby's typical day...
Wake up....feel nausea.
Take nausea and pain meds.
Wait a half an hour.
Eat.
Half an hour later throw up.
Migraine.
Cry and complain a little bit.
Tries to eat a little more.
Feels nausea.
More nausea. Throws up.
More headaches. More tears.
Tired
No energy to do anything. More tears
Stays on the couch, curled up and watches t.v.
Snacks a little.
More nausea. More tears.
Headache to the point of tears.
Eats a little lunch.
Takes more meds.
Feels nausea.
Throws up.
Naps off and on.
Snack
More nausea
Throws up. More tears.
Dozes off and on.
Tries to eat dinner.
Takes more meds.
More nausea.
Doesn't feel well.
Wants ice cream (this is a nightly ritual).
Starts to feel a little better.
Takes more meds
Goes to bed for the night. Hoping for a full nights rest.
Starts all over again the next day.

This is Kolby's typical day. This is what Kolby has to deal with each day. As a family we try to make this process as bearable as possible for her. We do have moments of laughter. We all try to stay as positive as possible. This really helps Kolby when we are all positive. We just let her cry and complain. We just sit and listen to her. Listening to her without trying to say something to comfort her seems to help the most. When we try to console her, it just makes it worse. We just have to let her get it out. Then we hug her and rub her arms, back, and feet to help take away from her discomfort. This temporarily helps her.

Today was a little different. Kolby complained a lot, not so much about how she feels but why this is happening to her. She said over and over again how this really sucks. (A typical teenager response.) I totally agreed with her. It's a beautiful day outside and Kolby requests for all the blinds to be closed and the lights off. Light contributes to her headaches. She doesn't like loud sounds and all smells irritate her. She hasn't even been able to enjoy her new puppy. Life for her exists in her family room with a big bowl on her lap, and the constant feeling of throwing up.

I am glad that Kolby complained today. It's about time! She needs to do this so much more. It really does "suck". We cannot tell Kolby that we are sorry this is happening to her. It upsets her. She does not like it when we cry in front of her. It makes her cry even harder and more.

So, this is our day. Honestly, I hate leaving the room even for a moment. I swear, every time I do she throws up and needs my help. I am not complaining in any way. I am honored to serve my beautiful daughter. She deserves anything that will comfort and help her emotionally and physically during this horrible time in her life. She is not enjoying life right now, but at least she is living. Barely, but living. I could not imagine a life long illness like this. That would not be living, just surviving. So, even though the sun is shinning outside, and everyone is outdoors swimming, playing, and enjoying each others company, Kolby is inside with a dark cloud hoovering over her. She is praying for the day when the sunlight will warm her face, and she will feel alive and well again, with no pain, nausea, and lots of energy to do all the things she so longs for.

Thank you for keeping her in your hearts and prayers.

With many tears and a heavy heart,
The Momma

Comments

  1. It was so good to see all of you tonight. I wish I knew the right things to say too. I don't like to see good people go through so many tough trials. I love you guys and continually pray for your strength to endure and the miracle of a speedy recovery. I truly am here for you. All you have to do is ask and it's done. Sonja

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are also hoping and praying for Kolby (and family!)to feel sunshine in her life again. Much love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are in our prayers and thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Dana,
    Dear Brave girl,
    I am a retired teacher from China .I live in Ogden.I met Natalie on newspaper today and met you two in her blog.Your stories courage me very much.I also went over your "Herbal & Nutrient Supplements" paper.I am a nutrition program lover.
    I have put some high quality power Supplements in my blog . They may give you some help .
    I am leaving UT tomorrow morning .Would you mind if I coming to visit you when I come back ?
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Dana,
    Dear Brave girl,
    I am a retired teacher from China .I live in Ogden.I met Natalie on newspaper today and met you two in her blog.Your stories courage me very much.I also went over your "Herbal & Nutrient Supplements" paper.I am a nutrition program lover.
    I have put some high quality power Supplements in my blog . They may give you some help .
    I am leaving UT tomorrow morning .Would you mind if I coming to visit you when I come back ?
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A little note from me, Kolby.

I want thank Kristi and Kylie for designing these T-Shirts. At first I didn't want my name on the shirt. I really do not like having the attention on me. But, after I saw them I really liked them. Thank you Kristi and Kylie. Also, thank you so much Vicki and Dale for making the t-shirts, you did a great job. I just love them. Thank you!!! This has been really hard on me. I wish I felt better and I want my healthy body back. I miss hanging out with my friends and doing the things I like. I also do not like it when I feel sick. The blisters in my throat and mouth are gone right now, but when I take chemo again I know they will come back. It has been nice feeling good these last few days. I haven't had to have chemo this week because of the scans. It is such a good feeling to feel good again. I never really appreciated my healthy body till now. The chemo makes me feel horrible. I have no energy. I feel nauseous all the time and I get horrible headaches. They hurt so bad. I get s

Father's Day

Today was a great day for our family. Kolby went to church. It was a challenge , but it was really important for Kolby to go to church today with her dad. She got up, got ready and she looked beautiful. I really wish I would have taken pictures of the girls with their dad, but we were in such a hurry to get off to church that I forgot. Next time I will for sure. She was pretty emotional at church. It was a lot for her to get ready and go to church for the first time in a while. She wanted to arrive a few minutes late, and leave a few minutes early. It is really hard for Kolby to see people, only because of all the different emotions she is feeling right now. She gets very emotional when people hug her and express their love and support. She loves it, but right now, she cries every time she has a new visitor or sees people. So, please do not get offended if Kolby is quiet when you see her or visit with her. It's just how she is right now, and that's ok . Everyone deals wit

Keeping Kolby

Kolby’s website was originally named so appropriately by Sarah Barlow, one of our family’s closest friends. I think that more than anything it describes this strong selfish desire we have… not to lose our daughter in this battle with NHL cancer. Today we won another round in that fight. We got some results back from the cancer center today that had a lot of positive in it. Kolby’s new MRI and PET scans indicated that the cancer is on the retreat. Her tumors have reduced in size significantly as seen in the MRI photos, and the cancer cell activity has also dropped significantly. This is a good indication that the chemotherapy treatment is having a positive effect on her bone lesions and tumors. She still has mild patchy areas of disease on her sternum, anterior right first rib, anterior left 5th rib, in her lower vertebrate, and in her pelvic area. These areas still lit up on the PET scan, but the activity was greatly reduced. There was one area on her on her right first rib that has mi