Skip to main content

Final Chemotherapy Treatment!!!





Dear Cancer,

I am not even sure why I am writing this letter to you at all. Personally, I don’t think you deserve to have a letter written to you especially one that starts out “Dear…” But today is a pretty special day for me, so I thought I would write one anyway. The reason it is a special day for me is that today I received my last chemotherapy treatment to get rid of you once and for all! It has been nearly a whole year since we first met. Some days it seems as if it was only yesterday. I have so many mixed feelings about our “association”. It has been a tragic and horrible year with you. But along the way I did find some shiny moments. For example, all of the amazing people, friendships and help that I received through this awful experience. You wouldn’t believe all of the caring people who have done so much for me personally. I get overwhelmed with emotions just thinking back on all of them and all of the things they did for me. I love all of the moral support and financial help that my friends continually gave to me. It meant so much to me to see how many people cared about me. It was amazing to see people come to my aid and rescue. It made it possible for me to have the strength every day to do battle with you.

But I hate the fact that we ever had to meet. You have taken so many things from me. Whether you care or not…you have taken away a part of my childhood. I have been forced to deal with situations that only grown-ups should have to deal with. You have made it really difficult for me to have certain dreams and goals come true. You stole from me my health, my hair, and a lot of my happiness. You cheated me out of precious time, energy and memories. You may have robbed me of my only ability to have children and build a family. You have physically beaten me down time and time again…not to mention the emotional toll that you take on me…on a daily basis. From day one, you have been on my mind every day…and as much as I want to forget the fact that I know you…it is just impossible.

There are days when I wake up and my hatred for you is almost overwhelming. It may be that I am sick of going to all of the appointments, or that I am tired of being in pain or it might be as simple as me missing being able to be free and not having our “association” always hanging over my head. I wish I could for one moment forget that we ever met … but the reality is that we did...for reasons that I don’t understand...you barged right into my life. So “Cancer”…seeing first hand all of the damage that you left behind…I am really not sure how you sleep at night!!! Actually I hope over this past year that you didn’t get any sleep at night with all those burning chemotherapy treatments hunting you down! It’s painful!! (Sucks…right?!!)

For this past year, my doctors and I have done our best to get rid of you and I just wonder why you are so dang persistent. I mean I know that I am a fun person to hang around with…but sometimes you just have to take a hint! You must know how I have felt about you…especially on that day when I bought a shirt that says…“Cancer Sucks!” I am way past ready for you to be permanently retired to the island of “total remission”.

While the truth may be out that…“I hate your stinkin’ guts”, I must say that there are some things this encounter has taught me. I am learning how to love unconditionally, how to forgive completely, how to always have hope and embrace the little things in life. This experience has opened my eyes to so many beautiful things in this world that someone can only appreciate after having gone through what I have gone through. This experience has given me the drive to help others who are in similar situations, to give of myself and make a difference in the lives of others and I will never forget these people and those experiences.

No matter how hard I try to shake you…it looks like you will always be more than just a memory to me. Whether I like it or not I have to accept the fact that our future together may or may not be coming to an end here soon. All I have to say is that…don’t even think about coming back around here again!! You now know the truth. Underneath this trampled down body is a princess and I am used to getting my way. I don’t give up easy and I will always put up a heck of a fight. Did you happen to notice that I have had great friends and family behind me every step of the way? Well, I do and we are a package deal so just be forewarned …we can get really crazy at times!

For the past year I have wondered off and on why you chose me? I no longer want to know why, the fact is that for whatever reason you did…all along…it was always up to me…on how I dealt with it. Every day was a difficult challenge…full of headache and heartache. I can’t even tell you how many times I cried.

But I am still here…I am still standing…and I am prepared for whatever my future holds.

As much as I don’t like you, our encounter has ultimately made me a stronger person and being strong is what will carry me through the future.

Never Yours,
Kolby

Comments

  1. Awesome letter! You are one amazing young lady! Your spirit is incredible! You have been an example to all on how to deal with adversity times 10 with a smile and most of all, HOPE! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel Jenkins (:May 5, 2011 at 4:21 PM

    i wish there was a 'LIKE' button! your such an inspiration Kolby! Love you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. The never yours sums it up perfectly!!! Awesome Kolby!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great letter. You are a writer my dear. You take after your father. I am so very proud to know you Kolby. Love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep it up Kolby!! Very excited for you!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A little note from me, Kolby.

I want thank Kristi and Kylie for designing these T-Shirts. At first I didn't want my name on the shirt. I really do not like having the attention on me. But, after I saw them I really liked them. Thank you Kristi and Kylie. Also, thank you so much Vicki and Dale for making the t-shirts, you did a great job. I just love them. Thank you!!! This has been really hard on me. I wish I felt better and I want my healthy body back. I miss hanging out with my friends and doing the things I like. I also do not like it when I feel sick. The blisters in my throat and mouth are gone right now, but when I take chemo again I know they will come back. It has been nice feeling good these last few days. I haven't had to have chemo this week because of the scans. It is such a good feeling to feel good again. I never really appreciated my healthy body till now. The chemo makes me feel horrible. I have no energy. I feel nauseous all the time and I get horrible headaches. They hurt so bad. I get s

ONE YEAR CANCER FREE!!!

I am beyond blessed! I finally hit my one year mark on May 22, 2012. After going through chemo for a year and waiting for the those cancer cells to be gone, I have been free from it for a whole year! I cant even begin to tell everyone how excited i am! For my one year, I did some of my favorite things. I went to lunch with Kylie at Panda Express, Outback for dinner with my dad and Gabby and then went and got ice cream at Baskin Robbins! :))

Father's Day

Today was a great day for our family. Kolby went to church. It was a challenge , but it was really important for Kolby to go to church today with her dad. She got up, got ready and she looked beautiful. I really wish I would have taken pictures of the girls with their dad, but we were in such a hurry to get off to church that I forgot. Next time I will for sure. She was pretty emotional at church. It was a lot for her to get ready and go to church for the first time in a while. She wanted to arrive a few minutes late, and leave a few minutes early. It is really hard for Kolby to see people, only because of all the different emotions she is feeling right now. She gets very emotional when people hug her and express their love and support. She loves it, but right now, she cries every time she has a new visitor or sees people. So, please do not get offended if Kolby is quiet when you see her or visit with her. It's just how she is right now, and that's ok . Everyone deals wit