Skip to main content



Well...just when we thought we were getting close to the finish line...we had an unfortunate setback today. Last night Kolby had a terrible cough all night long and she got very little sleep. Today she spiked a fever of 100.8 degrees. Both of those things combined usually mean you have a cold. But with cancer patients, it typically means something more dangerous could be going on. We placed a call to Dr. Rashid to find out what she thought since it was the weekend and her office was closed. Dr. Rashid felt that those signs were significant enough that we needed to admit Kolby to the E.R. right away. (Is it just us or do other peoples kids get super sick or need urgent care only at night or on weekends when the doctor’s office is closed?!)



We (Jeff and I) gave Kolby a Priesthood Blessing and then raced her over to the Emergency Room. We got there at 5:00, and after blood work and chest x-rays, the diagnosis came back that she has Pneumonia. With Kolby’s weakened immune system, that is one of the worse things that can happen to a cancer patient. They started her immediately on an antibiotic I.V. After multiple consultations with the resident doctor and Dr. Rashid they decided they would permit us to bring Kolby home for the night provided we monitor her closely. However if her fever spiked back up, we would need to bring her right back to the E.R. After 4 hours at Sunrise Hospital, we finally got discharged. Kolby now has a whole new group of intense medications to take for the next week. GREAT...more pills...oh that’s her favorite :o(



Sometimes she looks so good that we forget how fragile her condition is. One moment she seems like she is doing fine and then what seems like just a few hours later she has a terrible case of pneumonia. She was pretty upset about going to the hospital again. As you can imagine that is not one of her favorite places. She was also upset when she found out she was going to be missing out on one of her favorite places to go. Kolby was really looking forward to Easter Sunday at church. She loves the spirit she feels on Easter Sunday. She didn’t take it very well when she found out that she would have to stay in bed and away from public places. That also means no school next week. Unlike most teenagers her age, she really hates missing school.


I hate to admit it, but I am so guilty of taking small things for granted. I just thought that we were going to coast right through to the finish line. I took for granted the great success that she has experienced so far without even considering the potential dangers that she may yet have to go through. Easter Sunday reminds us about someone who we really love, someone very special, who suffered incredible pain and agony and gave His life for us. He broke the bands of death that we may all live again. He knows more than anyone how fragile life is...and how important it is for us to appreciate it and not take it for granted. Our Easter will be spent on our knees thanking our Heavenly Father for his Son and his amazing sacrifice and incredible love for us. It will be spent thanking Him for the wonderful daughter(s) whom he sent to us...and for whom we do not take for granted. Not even for a moment!!!!!!

Comments

  1. Beautifully said!

    I certainly missed seeing Kolby and your family at church. I didn't find out about the pneumonia until late Sunday night. I hope that by now, Kolby is starting to feel better!

    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So scary! I am so glad that they got her on the road to recovery quickly. Your family's testimony in trial is a real inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A little note from me, Kolby.

I want thank Kristi and Kylie for designing these T-Shirts. At first I didn't want my name on the shirt. I really do not like having the attention on me. But, after I saw them I really liked them. Thank you Kristi and Kylie. Also, thank you so much Vicki and Dale for making the t-shirts, you did a great job. I just love them. Thank you!!! This has been really hard on me. I wish I felt better and I want my healthy body back. I miss hanging out with my friends and doing the things I like. I also do not like it when I feel sick. The blisters in my throat and mouth are gone right now, but when I take chemo again I know they will come back. It has been nice feeling good these last few days. I haven't had to have chemo this week because of the scans. It is such a good feeling to feel good again. I never really appreciated my healthy body till now. The chemo makes me feel horrible. I have no energy. I feel nauseous all the time and I get horrible headaches. They hurt so bad. I get s

ONE YEAR CANCER FREE!!!

I am beyond blessed! I finally hit my one year mark on May 22, 2012. After going through chemo for a year and waiting for the those cancer cells to be gone, I have been free from it for a whole year! I cant even begin to tell everyone how excited i am! For my one year, I did some of my favorite things. I went to lunch with Kylie at Panda Express, Outback for dinner with my dad and Gabby and then went and got ice cream at Baskin Robbins! :))

Father's Day

Today was a great day for our family. Kolby went to church. It was a challenge , but it was really important for Kolby to go to church today with her dad. She got up, got ready and she looked beautiful. I really wish I would have taken pictures of the girls with their dad, but we were in such a hurry to get off to church that I forgot. Next time I will for sure. She was pretty emotional at church. It was a lot for her to get ready and go to church for the first time in a while. She wanted to arrive a few minutes late, and leave a few minutes early. It is really hard for Kolby to see people, only because of all the different emotions she is feeling right now. She gets very emotional when people hug her and express their love and support. She loves it, but right now, she cries every time she has a new visitor or sees people. So, please do not get offended if Kolby is quiet when you see her or visit with her. It's just how she is right now, and that's ok . Everyone deals wit