Skip to main content

The Biginning

Our dear friends "Ronda and Holly".
They drove 16 hours to spend time with
our family and see Kolby in the hospital.



Sis. Mohler & Kolby..................................Drew & Danni


Stake Young Women Pres. .................The Mannions

Natalie, Amy, & Corey ..................... McKenna & Carla B.


Seminary Kids ..................................Gabby & her sister

Coach Chappel & Nicole .........................Barb & Sarah


Becca & Jacey ...................................Cheerleader Friends

BREAKING THE NEWS.............

With such deepened and saddened hearts we just learned that Kolby has Non Hodgkins ALCL - Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma. I am still in a state of shock. I just wish I would wake up in the morning and learn that all of this was a horrible nightmare. Sincerely, thank you all for your prayers and love. Your comments have helped make this heavy load a little lighter.


Kolby, Becca & Mariah......................Kolby cheering!
Let's back up a few months. Kolby went from being an outgoing cheerleader, very active young lady from having no energy at all. It took everything she had just to get up for Seminary and School...and then she would come home and sleep all day and into the night. We finally took her into the doctors where they ran blood work and she was diagnosed with Epstein Bar Virus(similiar to Mono). We were told since it was a virus there wasn't any medication, that we just had to wait it out. We knew she would just feel fatigue, and wouldn't be as active as usual. Well after a while her symptoms became worse. She started having back pain, to the point where she cried when she got up from the couch or bed. She began having high fevers. We knew something else was going on...perhaps a bacterial infection or something...never did we ever think that she had cancer! After all....no one in my family ever had cancer. After a couple more doctor visits we were told to take Kolby to Sunrise Hospital's emergency room. There she had a body scan to scan for "hot spots". There were several in her body, but they still couldn't tell us what was wrong with her. She was a mystery. They ran more tests, and Kolby was still in severe pain and still running high fevers. They finally admited her to the hospital where they ran more and more tests. (Thank goodness for insurance!) She was still a mystery. I swear, I wanted to call Dr. House! Then after about a week the diagnosis came in. She was diagnosed with Anaplastic Large Cell Non Hodgkins Lymphoma Stage 4. I couldn't believe it. I cried so hard I couldn't breath. It was almost reliving what happened with Kenzie. One minute everything is great, and then the next, you have doctors telling you how sick your child is. It's unbelieveable. It still is unbelieveable. We kept meeting with doctors discussing her disease, and she finally started Chemo on Monday, May 25th, 2010. We hope and pray as a family, friends, and loved ones for a speedy recovery. So many of my friends and family have been so supportive. We truly are blessed. We know that this is a horrible trial in our lives right now. Especially for Kolby. But we also know that before we were sent down here on this earth, that we knew we would have trials. We didn't care, we were just so excited to come down and attain an earthly body and learn as much as we could before we returned to live with our Heavenly Father once again. We knew there would be a possiblity of having a disease and trials that would test our faith. Now, even though I have a testimony of all this, and I do have faith...it still doesn't take away the sadness that I feel. I know in order to appreciate happiness I have to feel sadness. I know this is the Lord's plan. Good and bad. This is a bad time in our lives right now, but we are strong. We love each other and we are thankful that Kolby was born into our family so we can love and take care of her during this difficult time in her life. We have a lot of living to do, and Kolby has so much more to accomplish in her life down here on earth. We will beat this....Kolby will beat this. And hopefully one day, she will meet someone with her same trial, and she will be able to help them and be an inspiriation in their life. I am thankful for the trials in my life....but I hope and pray with a sincere heart that Kolby's trial will be a short journey full of smooth sailing.....

************************************

From Kylie, her big sister.... (brbunch09 blog)
So, it's been super crazy lately! About two months ago my little sister got really sick and she had a fever of 104 and she wasn't feeling good so my mom and I took her to a quick care and they said she had a "sinus" infection...so, they gave her some meds for this sinus infection.... well it never went away and she was staying the same. My grandpa came down to visit and help in a blessing and said if you don't feel better by Monday I want to take you to my doctor. Well Monday came around and she was feeling the same... so my grandpa made an appointment to see his doctor.. well the doctor said she had a bad sinus infection in her nose and gave her some meds and sent her home... well the meds didn't work and she went in for a follow up, and he said that it was weird.. well kolby started to develop a pain in her rib cage and it got so bad that we'd have to help her out of bed, or from whenever she was laying down. She went in to see the doctor again and they did some blood work and said come back in a couple days... well this happened a couple times where they would run some tests and say come back in a couple days. The last time she went into the doctors said she was getting worse and they couldn't play the"couple days" game anymore that she needed to be admitted into the hospital. So, they admitted her to Sunrise Hospital... they didn't have many patients so they stuck her in ICU for a few days. which the nurses were really nice letting lots of people in the room since we didn't really NEED the ICU. They did a bone marrow biopsy and couldn't find anything wrong, and they pulled some more bone out and that's when they said the found "suspicious" cells.. the let the bone marrow sit in a incubator and it ended up coming up positive for the same suspicious cells..the also removed a lymph node from her neck and when they cut it open... guess what they found?? They found Cancer in the lymph node.. and they diagnosed her with Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma and its very aggressive! She started chemo finally, after being a complete mystery for 2 weeks in the hospital, they finally figured out what was wrong with her.. It's sad that she has cancer but I'm so thankful that they figured SOMETHING out so that they could start treating her! She will have chemo treatments for 11 months, almost a year. she has already responded well to the first treatment.. well enough that she hasn't had a fever in 2 days and she her back pain is manageable! I'm so glad that she is at home now and and not in the hospital. She will be able to get more rest while being at home, and not woken up every few hours from the nurses! Although we DID have a great team of doctors and nurses working with kolby! I'm just so grateful for the gospel, I really have no idea where my family or I would be without the gospel in our lives with the trials we face! I love you kolby!!

Comments

  1. I am not sure if you will receive this comment becasue it is at the bedinning of your blog. I found you through my sister natty's blog. I have read through your posts and love the comments and hope given. I too have a strong testimony of the divine plan. Thank you for an inspiring message. I have to be honest reading through your blog has made me physically sick watching natty go through the same pain just nauseates me. I can't wait to see what Kolby chooses as her wish. Becasue natty was 19 when diagnosed that was not an option, we are in the process of opening a make a wish for older patients called Natty's Wish. I pray for your sweet family. I love the title of your cute blog as well. Keeping smiling :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A little note from me, Kolby.

I want thank Kristi and Kylie for designing these T-Shirts. At first I didn't want my name on the shirt. I really do not like having the attention on me. But, after I saw them I really liked them. Thank you Kristi and Kylie. Also, thank you so much Vicki and Dale for making the t-shirts, you did a great job. I just love them. Thank you!!! This has been really hard on me. I wish I felt better and I want my healthy body back. I miss hanging out with my friends and doing the things I like. I also do not like it when I feel sick. The blisters in my throat and mouth are gone right now, but when I take chemo again I know they will come back. It has been nice feeling good these last few days. I haven't had to have chemo this week because of the scans. It is such a good feeling to feel good again. I never really appreciated my healthy body till now. The chemo makes me feel horrible. I have no energy. I feel nauseous all the time and I get horrible headaches. They hurt so bad. I get s

Father's Day

Today was a great day for our family. Kolby went to church. It was a challenge , but it was really important for Kolby to go to church today with her dad. She got up, got ready and she looked beautiful. I really wish I would have taken pictures of the girls with their dad, but we were in such a hurry to get off to church that I forgot. Next time I will for sure. She was pretty emotional at church. It was a lot for her to get ready and go to church for the first time in a while. She wanted to arrive a few minutes late, and leave a few minutes early. It is really hard for Kolby to see people, only because of all the different emotions she is feeling right now. She gets very emotional when people hug her and express their love and support. She loves it, but right now, she cries every time she has a new visitor or sees people. So, please do not get offended if Kolby is quiet when you see her or visit with her. It's just how she is right now, and that's ok . Everyone deals wit

ONE YEAR CANCER FREE!!!

I am beyond blessed! I finally hit my one year mark on May 22, 2012. After going through chemo for a year and waiting for the those cancer cells to be gone, I have been free from it for a whole year! I cant even begin to tell everyone how excited i am! For my one year, I did some of my favorite things. I went to lunch with Kylie at Panda Express, Outback for dinner with my dad and Gabby and then went and got ice cream at Baskin Robbins! :))