Skip to main content

Memories

The last few days Kolby has been feeling pretty good. She went into the doctors on Tuesday and her numbers were a little low. She got another shot to boost her white blood count. But overall Kolby is feeling fine.
I thought I would share a few fun facts and memories about Kolby. We talk so much about "cancer" and "side effects" and there is so much more to Kolby. You would never know it but Kolby used to be fat. We would call her fat baby. She obviously grew out of that chubby stage and turned into a beautiful young lady. I always did my girls hair when they were younger. Remember the big bangs and bow stage? Well Kolby never would allow me to do that it to her, like I did with her big sisters. That style had gone out by the time her hair was long enough for me to do the big hair styles. She had to be just like her big sisters, straightening their hair and all. Kolby used to love Winnie the Pooh. She went through a stage where every piece of her clothing had to have Winnie the Pooh on it. I knew it was time to take Kolby off the bottle when I caught her one time opening up the fridge, getting a can of soda out, opening it and pouring it into her bottle. Man, that girl loved soda. (It was my fault! My bad!) She also loved Barney...but it was a secret. Barney was a comfort movie for her. Whenever she felt sad she would go into her room and put in a Barney video. Her favorite Barney was the Outer space episode. Again, Barney was a secret and she didn't want anyone to know. She also loved the song by the Dixie Chicks called Goodbye Earl. She knew all the words. We even went to a Dixie Chick's concert and she could hardly wait till they sang that song. But of course she fell asleep right before they sang it. We kept trying to wake her up but she zonked out. Kolby also loved chicken nuggets and french fries. It didn't matter what restaurant we went to she would always order them. She still loves them and orders them whenever we go.....Chicken nuggets and two sweet and sours please!!! It's actually kind of a joke. Kolby has always been a home girl. She is still a home girl. When my girls turn 14 they have to do their own laundry. But not Kolby, she started at 12. She wanted to be just like Kristi and Kylie. The only thing was is that Kolby would want to wash one or two articles a day. Kolby is a clean freak with her clothes....not her room though...that is another story. Oh, another memory I have of Kolby is in Kindergarten. I went to pull her from class for a few minutes to get her picture taken with her sisters. She freaked out because she didn't want to stop doing her school work. She cried so hard that I had to wait a while till the redness went away from her face. She is still pretty serious about her school work. She has never been interested in sports. She wasn't a girly girl, more like a "Gap" girl. She has always loved wearing jeans. I think that has to do with her sisters too. That's all they wore too. We were surprised when Kolby wanted to try out for cheer. That was so not her. Then she made it. Kolby also has never been a "smiley" girl. When we went to watch her cheer for the first time she was smiling so much...we couldn't believe it. We loved it. We had to joke with her about it too. She also tried out for the dance team and made it. Unfortunately, when Kolby was cheering at the end of the school year and dancing that was when the cancer was growing in her body. She had such severe back pain during this time. I felt bad because I encouraged her to continue thinking that her back pain was due to all the exercising from cheer and dance. Then come to find out it was because of the cancer.
Kolby is such a good girl. She has never cussed or seen an "R" rated movie. She is such an example to our family. Kolby has very high morals and she has integrity. Kolby has shared with us that it has crossed her mind why she got cancer when there are so many people out there who smoke, drink and do bad things. She has learned a lot about this whole experience. She told us that she has learned to appreciate a healthy body and this has made her much more compassionate with others. She knows that one day she will use this experience for the better. She even said that she wants to someday be a counselor for kids with cancer or work for the Make a Wish foundation and work with the kids. Cancer isn't stopping Kolby. These are just a few memories of Kobly....and I know that we will have many more years of memories with our Kolbsters. Kolby fills our lives with happiness. Everyday Kolby touches our hearts and lives. I love my Kolby and I love watching her grow, learn, and experience life lessons. Not all lessons are fun to learn and live, but they make us who we are. Our family has hated watching Kolby go through this experience, but we are thankful for the strength we have, the faith we have in our Heavenly Father and his love for us. We never feel alone and we are thankful for this life lesson and experience. Bad things happen to good people to make them better. That's our family motto these days!

Comments

  1. I'm happy that Kolby is feeling better!

    I enjoyed reading your memories of Kolby. You're right...there is definitely more to Kolby than this cancer and its horrible side effects. The cancer shouldn't define who Kolby is but will undoubtedly influence the strong, compassionate person she becomes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet post! I too enjoyed learning a little more about Kolby. That soda in the bottle thing cracks me up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this! It's so great to get to know her ever better. Just the other day I was thinking about Kolby as my Beehive. I've always loved her and it's really hard to have to watch her go through this. Reading this post was really sweet and I'm happy you did it because that's WHO Kolby is and a little about how she started. Now the rest of herlife is being formed and what she is going through right now will mold her into an even more amazing person than she even started out as. It's amazing how trials and humbling situations really do soften our hearts towards others. I love you guys!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A little note from me, Kolby.

I want thank Kristi and Kylie for designing these T-Shirts. At first I didn't want my name on the shirt. I really do not like having the attention on me. But, after I saw them I really liked them. Thank you Kristi and Kylie. Also, thank you so much Vicki and Dale for making the t-shirts, you did a great job. I just love them. Thank you!!! This has been really hard on me. I wish I felt better and I want my healthy body back. I miss hanging out with my friends and doing the things I like. I also do not like it when I feel sick. The blisters in my throat and mouth are gone right now, but when I take chemo again I know they will come back. It has been nice feeling good these last few days. I haven't had to have chemo this week because of the scans. It is such a good feeling to feel good again. I never really appreciated my healthy body till now. The chemo makes me feel horrible. I have no energy. I feel nauseous all the time and I get horrible headaches. They hurt so bad. I get s

ONE YEAR CANCER FREE!!!

I am beyond blessed! I finally hit my one year mark on May 22, 2012. After going through chemo for a year and waiting for the those cancer cells to be gone, I have been free from it for a whole year! I cant even begin to tell everyone how excited i am! For my one year, I did some of my favorite things. I went to lunch with Kylie at Panda Express, Outback for dinner with my dad and Gabby and then went and got ice cream at Baskin Robbins! :))

Father's Day

Today was a great day for our family. Kolby went to church. It was a challenge , but it was really important for Kolby to go to church today with her dad. She got up, got ready and she looked beautiful. I really wish I would have taken pictures of the girls with their dad, but we were in such a hurry to get off to church that I forgot. Next time I will for sure. She was pretty emotional at church. It was a lot for her to get ready and go to church for the first time in a while. She wanted to arrive a few minutes late, and leave a few minutes early. It is really hard for Kolby to see people, only because of all the different emotions she is feeling right now. She gets very emotional when people hug her and express their love and support. She loves it, but right now, she cries every time she has a new visitor or sees people. So, please do not get offended if Kolby is quiet when you see her or visit with her. It's just how she is right now, and that's ok . Everyone deals wit