Skip to main content
Well the side effects have arrived! Kolby has barely left the couch. She has no energy. She had a horrible night last night. We were up till almost 4:00 a.m. Between sharp stomach pains, throwing up, and tummy issues, Kolby barely got a wink of sleep. She took about 5 baths. She wanted me to let her sleep in the bathroom, but I wouldn't let her. John so graciously slept in the spare bedroom and Kolby stayed in mine, just 10 footsteps away from the bathroom. She finally fell asleep around 4:00, but then I heard the water running in the bathtub around 6:20. Poor girl. She is also starting to get mouth sores. She also doesn't have an appetite, and when she does eat, everything doesn't taste good. She doesn't even want ice cream. She loves otter pops though, and we go through a ton of them. Kolby was even invited to hang out with a couple friends and she turned them down. So, today Kolby isn't doing very well.
We know that things could still be so much worse. We learned yesterday that David Garcia ( a young man that attended Green Valley High) died of cancer on Monday. We met him briefly one day during treatment. His mother was so sweet and uplifting. We were new to this whole cancer thing, and she was so supportive and encouraging. David also knew Alex Hobbs that attended Silverado High School. Our hearts go out to the Garcia family. For the brief moment that we met David, we liked him instantly. He was brave and wore a huge smile on his face. He was very friendly to Kolby and spoke encouraging words to her. We are thankful for the brief association we had with him and his mother, and we will always remember him and their kind words and big hearts.
Cancer is such a horrible sickness. We have learned so much these last 6 months. We still cannot believe that Kolby got cancer. It is just unbelievable. It is horrible. But we know that we are also so very blessed. We have such amazing friends and support. I do not go a day without a handful of co-workers asking me how Kolby is. I never go to church without half my ward asking how Kolby is doing. We still receive thoughtful cards and emails, and comments made on Kolby's blog for her behalf and ours. Daily we are reminded how much we are loved by our family, friends, and even strangers. We are so blessed. We do not need counseling when we have so much support and love. If I need a listening ear or just to vent, all I have to do is make a comment on facebook, and I receive an overwhelming response from loved ones, even friends that I haven't seen in years. I cannot thank my Heavenly Father enough for putting everyone in my life and for the love, support and friendship I overwhelming have and feel each day. Kolby feels the same. She may be quiet and more reserved (like her dad), but she too appreciates every one's love and support. Donations are still made to "Keeping Kolby" and no one will ever know how thankful we are for their generous and giving hearts. Not having to worry about paying bills is a huge relief. We know how lucky and blessed we are. If you are reading this....please know that because of you, our lives have been changed. Our family has learned so much more about true compassion beyond anything else that we have ever known. We can only hope and pray that one day we can be apart of some one elses trial like all of you have.
Even though Kolby is having a rough round this time, we are still so thankful and blessed. We know that Kolby could be so much worse. Even though Kolby is feeling horrible, we are still so thankful that she is here with us. She fights everyday to stay positive and to stay alive. She is a fighter and an example to us all.

Comments

  1. I am so sad that this chemotherapy is awful on Kolby also. Poor girl! Kolby, keep on fighting. We feel so blessed to know you and your amazing family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kolby,

    I have been through chemo and I know how hard it is but just remember it is getting rid of all the cancer! My friend suffered with mouth sores. The only thing that helped her was Biotene toothpaste and mouthwash. You can buy it at Walmart. It is a little pricey but it works. I have recommended this to others who have suffered with sores and it always works. Hang in there. Sending prayers your way:) Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kolby, I have also been through chemo and experienced mouth sores. Some things I did to help relieve them is slushies (otter pops with a little bit of sprite) and sucked on ice chips. Both of these helped. I hope that you can find something that works for you. I know that you are a tough fighter...it will be all worth it in the end. Praying for you. Cheryl Hobbs

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A little note from me, Kolby.

I want thank Kristi and Kylie for designing these T-Shirts. At first I didn't want my name on the shirt. I really do not like having the attention on me. But, after I saw them I really liked them. Thank you Kristi and Kylie. Also, thank you so much Vicki and Dale for making the t-shirts, you did a great job. I just love them. Thank you!!! This has been really hard on me. I wish I felt better and I want my healthy body back. I miss hanging out with my friends and doing the things I like. I also do not like it when I feel sick. The blisters in my throat and mouth are gone right now, but when I take chemo again I know they will come back. It has been nice feeling good these last few days. I haven't had to have chemo this week because of the scans. It is such a good feeling to feel good again. I never really appreciated my healthy body till now. The chemo makes me feel horrible. I have no energy. I feel nauseous all the time and I get horrible headaches. They hurt so bad. I get s

Father's Day

Today was a great day for our family. Kolby went to church. It was a challenge , but it was really important for Kolby to go to church today with her dad. She got up, got ready and she looked beautiful. I really wish I would have taken pictures of the girls with their dad, but we were in such a hurry to get off to church that I forgot. Next time I will for sure. She was pretty emotional at church. It was a lot for her to get ready and go to church for the first time in a while. She wanted to arrive a few minutes late, and leave a few minutes early. It is really hard for Kolby to see people, only because of all the different emotions she is feeling right now. She gets very emotional when people hug her and express their love and support. She loves it, but right now, she cries every time she has a new visitor or sees people. So, please do not get offended if Kolby is quiet when you see her or visit with her. It's just how she is right now, and that's ok . Everyone deals wit

ONE YEAR CANCER FREE!!!

I am beyond blessed! I finally hit my one year mark on May 22, 2012. After going through chemo for a year and waiting for the those cancer cells to be gone, I have been free from it for a whole year! I cant even begin to tell everyone how excited i am! For my one year, I did some of my favorite things. I went to lunch with Kylie at Panda Express, Outback for dinner with my dad and Gabby and then went and got ice cream at Baskin Robbins! :))