Skip to main content

Staying Positive!

Today Kolby had another doctor's appointment. Her blood work came back average. She had a few low numbers but nothing to worry about. We talked to Dr. Rashid about Kolby returning to school. We also had to get a letter explaining her diagnosis so we can meet with Kolby's counselor and teachers to set up a 504 plan. This plan will ensure that Kolby will get the accommodations that she will need to have a successful year. Accommodations will be like her wearing hats and beanies to school. Also, this plan will allow Kolby access to the bathroom and nurse whenever she feels nauseous, weak, or sick. It will also prevent her absences because of chemo to be held against her, and things like that. Kolby is ready to return to school and a normal life as much as possible. Her doctor said she could return as long as her numbers are up and as along as there are no complications. Kolby will still need to be careful and take it easy. Even though Kolby looks great, her little body is still fighting off the cancer. Kolby takes a lot of pride in how she looks and she does an exceptional job with her hair pieces and false eyelashes. I am so impressed with her positive attitude and how she takes care of herself. She looks so good at times that I forget she has cancer. It is scary for us as her parents and we worry everyday that the chemo will quit working. We were told that this is a possibility and it happens quite a bit especially with this rare cancer. So each day we treasure Kolby and never ever take her for granted. We also worry about her health and all the side effects after her chemo treatments. I just know that Kolby will have a life long battle with her health. I hope and pray she doesn't, but I cannot help but to be a worry wart!

Today Kolby is having a great day. She even went into my classroom and helped me set up for the new school year. She is also driving. I admit, it makes me so nervous. More nervous than usual. I just cannot believe that she is old enough to have her permit. Life is going by so fast. So today, life for Kolby is great. Like Kolby says...."Six more days till the devils juice (chemo), so let's live it up and have fun!" That's how we should all treat our days. She really makes me appreciate my healthy body. Even though she is sick, she will never lead on that it bothers her, especially during days like this! Kolby, thank you for being such a great example to your mom. I love you!

Comments

  1. Dana -

    Thank you, thank you for this post!

    First of all, I know this is so ignorant, but I never even thought about the eyelashes!

    I am once again completely humbled as I sit here and contemplate the fragility of life and the things that truly matter. I have been so overwhelmed lately with seemingly trivial matters. But again, your honest and heartfelt words continue to provide the proper perspective.

    We love all of the Crampton/Thornton family and appreciate your positive and determined resolve to see the challenges of life through. You're simply amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kolby, you are so inspiring! I love that you refer to chemo as "the devil's juice". Keeping a little sense of humour during this awful time is so admirable.

    You are AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darling Kolby,
    You are not average. Someone needs to inform your body of that so your numbers go up. I'll be over soon to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kolby's positive attitude is truly a blessing from above! It's amazing and so great!!!!

    That's really neat that the school works with you. That's good to know because I've been wondering about that.

    Thanks once again for an update of things that I wanted to know! :) Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, that post is from TARA. I didn't log out after posting about the auction :) woops :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A little note from me, Kolby.

I want thank Kristi and Kylie for designing these T-Shirts. At first I didn't want my name on the shirt. I really do not like having the attention on me. But, after I saw them I really liked them. Thank you Kristi and Kylie. Also, thank you so much Vicki and Dale for making the t-shirts, you did a great job. I just love them. Thank you!!! This has been really hard on me. I wish I felt better and I want my healthy body back. I miss hanging out with my friends and doing the things I like. I also do not like it when I feel sick. The blisters in my throat and mouth are gone right now, but when I take chemo again I know they will come back. It has been nice feeling good these last few days. I haven't had to have chemo this week because of the scans. It is such a good feeling to feel good again. I never really appreciated my healthy body till now. The chemo makes me feel horrible. I have no energy. I feel nauseous all the time and I get horrible headaches. They hurt so bad. I get s

Father's Day

Today was a great day for our family. Kolby went to church. It was a challenge , but it was really important for Kolby to go to church today with her dad. She got up, got ready and she looked beautiful. I really wish I would have taken pictures of the girls with their dad, but we were in such a hurry to get off to church that I forgot. Next time I will for sure. She was pretty emotional at church. It was a lot for her to get ready and go to church for the first time in a while. She wanted to arrive a few minutes late, and leave a few minutes early. It is really hard for Kolby to see people, only because of all the different emotions she is feeling right now. She gets very emotional when people hug her and express their love and support. She loves it, but right now, she cries every time she has a new visitor or sees people. So, please do not get offended if Kolby is quiet when you see her or visit with her. It's just how she is right now, and that's ok . Everyone deals wit

ONE YEAR CANCER FREE!!!

I am beyond blessed! I finally hit my one year mark on May 22, 2012. After going through chemo for a year and waiting for the those cancer cells to be gone, I have been free from it for a whole year! I cant even begin to tell everyone how excited i am! For my one year, I did some of my favorite things. I went to lunch with Kylie at Panda Express, Outback for dinner with my dad and Gabby and then went and got ice cream at Baskin Robbins! :))