Skip to main content
I haven't written on Kolby's blog lately because I wanted to leave up the Bone Marrow Drive information. I have talked to many people who are still surprised to find out that all they have to do is put 4 swabs into their mouth one at a time and swirl them around on the inside of their cheeks. That's it. Then, if your tissue is a match, the registry calls and requests that the donor comes in a gets their finger pricked to make sure they are a match. If found to be a bone marrow match, the process of donating your marrow is as simple as donating your blood. It used to be that bone marrow donating was an operation, and could be quite painful. This whole experience with Kolby has been quite an educational experience. There are so many children and adults waiting for bone marrow transplants. And now that I know how easy the process is I am willing and hoping to help someone in need, especially if Kolby needs a transplant. The Bone Marrow Drive was a success, and Kristi and John volunteered and worked all day. I was planning on going but Kolby didn't wake up till 12:30 on Saturday. She wanted to go to the mall too but it took her several hours to get ready. We finally arrived at the mall around 4:00. It was a great experience seeing everyone volunteer and others giving of their selves and stopping for a few moments to become a possible donor. Kolby met a girl who just lost her little sister to cancer. There were also many other people there who had a child, sister, mother, father, or sibling, or friend who had cancer. There were even people there that just wanted to serve and help just because they wanted to. It sure was a powerful experience. We are thankful as a family for the opportunity to meet so many people who have something in common. It's like were all a big family fighting for the same thing. Volunteering is such a fulfilling opportunity, and we plan on helping and volunteering at many more functions.

It's also wonderful seeing and listening to Kolby talk about her cancer and her experiences she is having. She is very open about her illness and she does not mind talking about it. In fact, she says she would rather people ask her questions than not. Kolby has shared with me how friends at school have started asking her questions about what happened to her. She told me that she doesn't even mind talking about her hair loss and having to wear her hat hair and wigs. So many people are shocked to find out that she is wearing fake hair because it looks so real. Kolby even told a few of her friends that one day she would take off her hat and hair and show them, but at that time she was talking to her friends, there were to many people around and she felt uncomfortable. I am so proud of Kolby becoming comfortable talking about everything that has happened. It is so good to talk about trials, it makes it easier to handle and accept. Kolby enjoys going to school and I have to pay tribute to all her friends for being so supportive and wonderful to Kolby. She does come home exhausted, and she sleeps most of the afternoons. But, then she wakes up and spends several hours completing homework. I am so proud of Kolby. She is a fighter. When she went to the doctors on Thursday her numbers were pretty low. Dr. Rashid told her if her numbers were any lower she wouldn't allow Kolby to go to school. Kolby got pretty upset and she requested the shot to help her numbers go up knowing that the side effects are painful. The shot they give Kolby helps not only her numbers to up but it also increases bone marrow growth that is very very painful. Kolby didn't complain any more than usual this weekend. She took her pain meds as usual and she didn't allow anything to stop her from enjoying her weekend. So. right now, we are all thrilled that Kolby is feeling good and living a pretty normal life. She loves going to school minus the work. I think it is the best medicine for Kolby to continue life as normal as she can. We never know if something will happen in the future, so we encourage and love when Kolby lives life to the fullest. She goes to chemo treatment on Thursday. I know.....21 days sure goes by quick. I am taking Thursday and Friday off to be home with her. Until then, Kolby plans on enjoying her week and hopefully this week at school will be as great as last week.

Comments

  1. Kolby, I am so impressed with your determination to go to school and with your willingness to share your story with others. You and your family are AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, this is Makenna's brother, Drew. I'm not sure if you remember me. I couldn't believe it when she told me that Kolby had cancer. I just wanted to let you know that I care, and will pray for her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update Dana. I was just thinking about you this morning and wondering how school was going for you and Kolby. I can imagine that you are all completely exhausted by the end of the day. Such hard work for everybody!

    Can't believe that Thursday is the dreaded day again. Makes me wonder how the countdown calendar is looking these days. Probably starting to fill up quite a bit more, huh? One day at a time...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    My wife, Katrina, is currently undergoing treatment for cancer.

    I had a question that I don't want to be read publicly. So I was hoping one of Kolby's parents could email me.

    Email:
    scottATkatrinastumorDOTnet

    www.katrinastumor.net

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A little note from me, Kolby.

I want thank Kristi and Kylie for designing these T-Shirts. At first I didn't want my name on the shirt. I really do not like having the attention on me. But, after I saw them I really liked them. Thank you Kristi and Kylie. Also, thank you so much Vicki and Dale for making the t-shirts, you did a great job. I just love them. Thank you!!! This has been really hard on me. I wish I felt better and I want my healthy body back. I miss hanging out with my friends and doing the things I like. I also do not like it when I feel sick. The blisters in my throat and mouth are gone right now, but when I take chemo again I know they will come back. It has been nice feeling good these last few days. I haven't had to have chemo this week because of the scans. It is such a good feeling to feel good again. I never really appreciated my healthy body till now. The chemo makes me feel horrible. I have no energy. I feel nauseous all the time and I get horrible headaches. They hurt so bad. I get s

ONE YEAR CANCER FREE!!!

I am beyond blessed! I finally hit my one year mark on May 22, 2012. After going through chemo for a year and waiting for the those cancer cells to be gone, I have been free from it for a whole year! I cant even begin to tell everyone how excited i am! For my one year, I did some of my favorite things. I went to lunch with Kylie at Panda Express, Outback for dinner with my dad and Gabby and then went and got ice cream at Baskin Robbins! :))

Father's Day

Today was a great day for our family. Kolby went to church. It was a challenge , but it was really important for Kolby to go to church today with her dad. She got up, got ready and she looked beautiful. I really wish I would have taken pictures of the girls with their dad, but we were in such a hurry to get off to church that I forgot. Next time I will for sure. She was pretty emotional at church. It was a lot for her to get ready and go to church for the first time in a while. She wanted to arrive a few minutes late, and leave a few minutes early. It is really hard for Kolby to see people, only because of all the different emotions she is feeling right now. She gets very emotional when people hug her and express their love and support. She loves it, but right now, she cries every time she has a new visitor or sees people. So, please do not get offended if Kolby is quiet when you see her or visit with her. It's just how she is right now, and that's ok . Everyone deals wit