Skip to main content
Be the One – To Save a Life!
Sept 10th & 11th - Galleria Mall
Front of Kohls & Gap
11:00 am – 6:00 pm

Let me know if there is anything I can do” has been one of the most kind and thoughtful statements that we have heard from family, friends and acquaintances. You will never know how much that means to us because we truly believe that there are people out there who really mean that…and if asked to do something significant for our daughter, like being a bone marrow donor…they would not even give it a second thought. As many of you know we are still not “out of the woods” with Kolby’s treatment and she may still need a bone marrow transplant before her treatment ends. There is also a chance that when her cancer does go into remission, and if by chance it returns in the future...then her rescue treatment would definitely include a bone marrow transplant. 36 children a day are diagnosed with cancer. This weekend is an opportunity for those who are willing and healthy to become a hero and potentially save a life.

A couple weeks ago our family went to the Galleria Mall to participate in a “Be The Match” National Marrow Donor Program Drive. It was an amazingly simple procedure. I thought I would share with you what we experienced; When you arrive… you fill out a 2 page questionnaire with contact information and a brief medical/health history section. Then one of the volunteers explains to you the procedure of taking a sample. They take 4 cotton swaps and have you swirl them between your cheek and gums on all four corners of your mouth. They put those swaps in a medical envelope and send them to a lab to be typed. That is all you do. You are done and free to go shopping or go home. Probably one of the simplest acts of kindness and service you can ever do in all of about 10 minutes of your time. Yet…you could be the one…who can save someone’s life.

Once they process my swabs, my tissue type enters the system and the search for a match begins. They really have a need for people of diverse ethnic groups. Being your average everyday white guy, a mostly Anglo-Saxon American, my background doesn't qualify me as being 'urgently needed' by the registry, but one visit to their website is plenty convincing, and even inspiring. It really makes you want to be the match.

If they ever do need your marrow, they would contact you by phone and ask if you would be willing to give a blood sample (small prick) and then you can decide…yes or no…if you want to be a marrow donor at that time. But at least you are in the registry as a potential match.

If I'm lucky, I will match Kolby…or hopefully someone else in need of either PBSCs—peripheral blood stem cells—or bone marrow. The former is more likely, and then for five days I would receive an injection that boosts production of PBSCs in my blood. Then I would be hooked up to a pair of IV's and—just like when I donate blood, plasma, or platelets at United Blood Services—my blood would leave out of one side, and be returned, minus the PBSCs, in the other. There is no surgery involved.

If by some small chance they do need a direct bone marrow donation…that would require anesthesia and a simple outpatient surgical procedure. Peanuts compared to what the recipient faces: high-dose chemotherapy, relative isolation in a sterile environment, immunosuppressant’s, risk of graft-versus-host-disease (GVHD), and possibly many more complications.

I hope you will consider being a bone marrow donor and taking the time to get your name on the registry. You can be the cure that can save someone’s life. If you live far away or cannot attend this weekend, please consider locating another drive where you live, or visit ‘BE THE MATCH’ website to join. I am volunteering my time on Saturday to help with the Marrow Donor Drive at the Galleria Mall. It is available to anyone between the ages of 18-60. It is also free of charge. I really hope I will see you there!
For more Info on Marrow Donation see;

Comments

  1. If anyone can't make it this coming weekend, we are planning on doing a drive at the Stake Center in November. That is the plan right for right now, as long as everything gets approved by the Eagle Board.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am signed up to volunteer there from 2pm - 6pm. Still trying to find a babysitter so praying that it all works out. I am also going to register for the database myself. This is such the right thing to do. John, I will see you there.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Father's Day

Today was a great day for our family. Kolby went to church. It was a challenge , but it was really important for Kolby to go to church today with her dad. She got up, got ready and she looked beautiful. I really wish I would have taken pictures of the girls with their dad, but we were in such a hurry to get off to church that I forgot. Next time I will for sure. She was pretty emotional at church. It was a lot for her to get ready and go to church for the first time in a while. She wanted to arrive a few minutes late, and leave a few minutes early. It is really hard for Kolby to see people, only because of all the different emotions she is feeling right now. She gets very emotional when people hug her and express their love and support. She loves it, but right now, she cries every time she has a new visitor or sees people. So, please do not get offended if Kolby is quiet when you see her or visit with her. It's just how she is right now, and that's ok . Everyone deals wit

A little note from me, Kolby.

I want thank Kristi and Kylie for designing these T-Shirts. At first I didn't want my name on the shirt. I really do not like having the attention on me. But, after I saw them I really liked them. Thank you Kristi and Kylie. Also, thank you so much Vicki and Dale for making the t-shirts, you did a great job. I just love them. Thank you!!! This has been really hard on me. I wish I felt better and I want my healthy body back. I miss hanging out with my friends and doing the things I like. I also do not like it when I feel sick. The blisters in my throat and mouth are gone right now, but when I take chemo again I know they will come back. It has been nice feeling good these last few days. I haven't had to have chemo this week because of the scans. It is such a good feeling to feel good again. I never really appreciated my healthy body till now. The chemo makes me feel horrible. I have no energy. I feel nauseous all the time and I get horrible headaches. They hurt so bad. I get s

ONE YEAR CANCER FREE!!!

I am beyond blessed! I finally hit my one year mark on May 22, 2012. After going through chemo for a year and waiting for the those cancer cells to be gone, I have been free from it for a whole year! I cant even begin to tell everyone how excited i am! For my one year, I did some of my favorite things. I went to lunch with Kylie at Panda Express, Outback for dinner with my dad and Gabby and then went and got ice cream at Baskin Robbins! :))