Skip to main content

Schofield "Flying Tigers"

Today turned out to be a pretty AMAZING day. You wouldn’t have guessed it by how the day started out though. Last night Kolby went to bed exhausted as usual. Yet she seems to bounce back each morning as she wakes for a new day. Today there was no bounce back. Her body said enough is enough and she went into shut-down mode. Nothing serious…but exhaustion from trying to keep up with her normal daily activities took their toll. She couldn’t wake up this morning and slept straight through for thirteen hours. Unfortunately she missed school and woke up barely in enough time to attend what turned out to be one of the most touching and memorable events she has ever experienced in her life.

Today a couple of really kindhearted and wonderful middle school teachers from Schofield Middle School…where Kolby attended…put together an incredible fundraising event, on behalf of Kolby. Both Mrs. Wick & Mrs. Edwards heard about Kolbys battle with cancer and as Kolbys former teachers they wanted to help somehow. Between the two of them they planned and spearheaded a physical fitness challenge for the students, where they would get sponsorships from friends and family…and then the students would run/walk a number of laps to raise funds to help with Kolbys cancer treatment.





















You couldn’t help but feel overwhelmed by the sheer size of the staff and students that all participated. It was incredible to see junior high students getting excited and engaged in a good cause…for a girl with cancer… which most of them had never met and didn’t even personally know. It was pretty emotional seeing teacher after teacher showing up to school wearing one of Kolbys t-shirts all in support of a student who had left their school and moved on to Silverado High, as students inevitable do. It is hard to say what was more remarkable…the effort of the teachers and staff that helped plan and manage this event…or the truly selfless action of countless students as they ran laps and posted miles on a really hot day in the desert sun.

For our family…we were mesmerized by the degree of charity and love shown from all who helped make this fundraising event possible as well as all those who participated in it. It has left an indelible mark on our minds and in our hearts. As we left the event this afternoon Kolby teared up as she thought about what was done on her behalf. She commented that she wanted to thank everyone who helped in it…but how could you possibly do that with so many people doing so much all at one time for you. That would take one really BIG group hug!!! She was emotionally overwhelmed to say the least.

Our family would like to publicly recognize the amazing teachers, staff, principal, and all of the “coolest students” on the planet from Schofield Middle School. Today you have performed a truly amazing service for which we will never forget…and for which we will be eternally grateful to you.

You did a great deed today!!!

You were all incredibly AMAZING!!!

Thank-you!!

(P.S. More Pictures Coming Soon!!!)

Comments

  1. How touching! We were excited to get a phone call from one of the students (member of our ward) who finished 21 laps today. You really have touched so many hearts and lives!

    Glad your rough day turned into another blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great!!! I happily wrote out my check for the boy we sponsored! :) He was so happy to be a part of it and make so much money for Kolby. What a great things for people/students to be able to take part in. You guys are truly loved!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is wonderful!!! What a beautiful thing to do for a beautiful girl.
    Just want to let you know that I won the "Eagle at Sunset" print from Kolbys auction site. The moment I saw it, I knew that it was what I was looking for. My dear sister is getting divorced after 30 years of marriage. She lives in Minnesota so I don't get to see her very often at all. She had written in an email that twice in the last couple of months, she had seen a bald eagle soaring. She felt that it was her sign for good things to come. When the print arrived, I tucked a note inside and mailed it off to her. Needless to say, she was touched and thrilled. I made sure to tell her where I got it, and she was even more touched and thrilled!
    Kolby's story of love and support has reached out to yet another person with love and support.
    What a blessing!
    I'm keeping you all close in my heart.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Father's Day

Today was a great day for our family. Kolby went to church. It was a challenge , but it was really important for Kolby to go to church today with her dad. She got up, got ready and she looked beautiful. I really wish I would have taken pictures of the girls with their dad, but we were in such a hurry to get off to church that I forgot. Next time I will for sure. She was pretty emotional at church. It was a lot for her to get ready and go to church for the first time in a while. She wanted to arrive a few minutes late, and leave a few minutes early. It is really hard for Kolby to see people, only because of all the different emotions she is feeling right now. She gets very emotional when people hug her and express their love and support. She loves it, but right now, she cries every time she has a new visitor or sees people. So, please do not get offended if Kolby is quiet when you see her or visit with her. It's just how she is right now, and that's ok . Everyone deals wit

A little note from me, Kolby.

I want thank Kristi and Kylie for designing these T-Shirts. At first I didn't want my name on the shirt. I really do not like having the attention on me. But, after I saw them I really liked them. Thank you Kristi and Kylie. Also, thank you so much Vicki and Dale for making the t-shirts, you did a great job. I just love them. Thank you!!! This has been really hard on me. I wish I felt better and I want my healthy body back. I miss hanging out with my friends and doing the things I like. I also do not like it when I feel sick. The blisters in my throat and mouth are gone right now, but when I take chemo again I know they will come back. It has been nice feeling good these last few days. I haven't had to have chemo this week because of the scans. It is such a good feeling to feel good again. I never really appreciated my healthy body till now. The chemo makes me feel horrible. I have no energy. I feel nauseous all the time and I get horrible headaches. They hurt so bad. I get s

ONE YEAR CANCER FREE!!!

I am beyond blessed! I finally hit my one year mark on May 22, 2012. After going through chemo for a year and waiting for the those cancer cells to be gone, I have been free from it for a whole year! I cant even begin to tell everyone how excited i am! For my one year, I did some of my favorite things. I went to lunch with Kylie at Panda Express, Outback for dinner with my dad and Gabby and then went and got ice cream at Baskin Robbins! :))