Skip to main content

PAYING IT FORWARD

I know that this has very little to do with Kolby and her battle with cancer...but I thought it was important enough that I wanted to share it with many of you that know us. It has been really difficult and challenging as parents to find ways to express our appreciation for all of the love and support we continually receive for Kolby...especially from all of our friends and family. I wish we could somehow find a way to repay all the favors and kindness that we have been privileged to receive. I don't know that we ever can! So many...have done so much! Hopefully we can find a way to simply..."pay it forward".

And then at the end of this week...I received this very urgent email;

Dear John,

You've been identified as a possible marrow match for a 4 year old male patient in need of a transplant. The patients doctor is trying to determine treatment options as quickly as possible.

Please call me immediately to tell me if you're willing and able to become a donor.

When you joined the National Marrow Donor Program's Be The Match Registry, you did so knowing that one day you could help save a life. Now someone is waiting for your response, and time is of the essence.

It's critically important that we hear from you - even if you're unable to donate.

Please call. We need to hear from you as soon as possible.

Sincerely,
Chris


My heart just about beat right out of my chest as I contemplated the thought of actually being able to have a chance at paying forward what others have done for us. I immediately called and volunteered to give whenever and whatever they needed for this brave 4 year old little boy. Imagine that! There is a chance that I may have the opportunity to do a good deed in turn for all the good deeds that have been done for our family! That was one of the best emails I ever got...in my lifetime!!!

So far, Kolby has been the one to lead the way in the process of "Paying it Forward" for our family. For example when we receive donations and money from different fundraisers, she has been anxious to send portions of that on to cancer centers that need help in finding cures and helping families who are struggling. She has made contributions to the Lymphoma Research Foundation, Cure Search, and St. Jude's Children's Hospital. Along with that, she has sent private donations to other fundraisers for children suffering with pediatric cancer. I am proud of her desire to reach out and help others...as others are reaching out and helping her. I think paying it forward is the best way for us to show our love one for another!

Kolby,Thanks for being a good example to the old man!
Love Dad

Comments

  1. you continue to touch our hearts and bring tears to our eyes! You will be in our prayers as you go forward with this donor process. What an awesome but scarey opportunity! Kolby is in our thoughts and prayers, and your whole family, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is sooooo COOL John!!! I hope that I get to be a match someday too. What an amazing opportunity to save another child's life.
    I am not surprised one bit by your daughter for being so giving. She is amazing. Your family is amazing. We love you guys and continue to pray for you.
    Congratulations on being a match for that precious little boy. That is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! How crazy is it that you might be the match for another person's kid?!? Your family is such an example to us of always "paying it forward".

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so amazing that you are a match to him! I hope it works out and is a success.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A little note from me, Kolby.

I want thank Kristi and Kylie for designing these T-Shirts. At first I didn't want my name on the shirt. I really do not like having the attention on me. But, after I saw them I really liked them. Thank you Kristi and Kylie. Also, thank you so much Vicki and Dale for making the t-shirts, you did a great job. I just love them. Thank you!!! This has been really hard on me. I wish I felt better and I want my healthy body back. I miss hanging out with my friends and doing the things I like. I also do not like it when I feel sick. The blisters in my throat and mouth are gone right now, but when I take chemo again I know they will come back. It has been nice feeling good these last few days. I haven't had to have chemo this week because of the scans. It is such a good feeling to feel good again. I never really appreciated my healthy body till now. The chemo makes me feel horrible. I have no energy. I feel nauseous all the time and I get horrible headaches. They hurt so bad. I get s

Father's Day

Today was a great day for our family. Kolby went to church. It was a challenge , but it was really important for Kolby to go to church today with her dad. She got up, got ready and she looked beautiful. I really wish I would have taken pictures of the girls with their dad, but we were in such a hurry to get off to church that I forgot. Next time I will for sure. She was pretty emotional at church. It was a lot for her to get ready and go to church for the first time in a while. She wanted to arrive a few minutes late, and leave a few minutes early. It is really hard for Kolby to see people, only because of all the different emotions she is feeling right now. She gets very emotional when people hug her and express their love and support. She loves it, but right now, she cries every time she has a new visitor or sees people. So, please do not get offended if Kolby is quiet when you see her or visit with her. It's just how she is right now, and that's ok . Everyone deals wit

ONE YEAR CANCER FREE!!!

I am beyond blessed! I finally hit my one year mark on May 22, 2012. After going through chemo for a year and waiting for the those cancer cells to be gone, I have been free from it for a whole year! I cant even begin to tell everyone how excited i am! For my one year, I did some of my favorite things. I went to lunch with Kylie at Panda Express, Outback for dinner with my dad and Gabby and then went and got ice cream at Baskin Robbins! :))