Skip to main content

In a Better Place

We always get so nervous when we go to Kolby's doctor appointments. The doctors are pretty confident that the chemotherapy is working, but with the scans spaced 3 months apart, you can't help but wonder what has been going on in her body with the cancer during that 3 month span. It only makes you more anxious and worried as you get news that someone else that you know of...has lost the battle with cancer...and now is "in a better place". That is not the news you want to hear. What you really what to hear is that they are in complete remission and they beat the battle with this deadly disease. Unfortunately...and sadly...that isn't always the case. Your heart sinks and you just feel so bad for those who have lost someone that they loved so much.

On Thursday we went to Kolby's doctors appointment and had her next chemotherapy treatment. (There are only 5 more 21 day cycle treatments after this cycle.) We sat and talked with Dr Rashid about Kolby's body scans and her blood LDH numbers. Her doctor said that Kolby was in a "better place now"...but... she meant it in a good way!! Dr Rashid said that the scans show that there doesn't appear to be any visible cancer or tumors remaining in her body. Her blood counts were in the normal range and her LDH numbers were not elevated. She also has returned in body weight to what she was before she was diagnosed with cancer. She indicated that Kolby for all intent and purposes, is in a technical remission. The chemotherapy that Kolby is undergoing now is the maintenance cycle that targets the slow moving cancer cells that the previous chemotherapy drugs may have not been able to destroy. But as near as we can tell, there doesn't seem to be any visible cancer to detect.

For us that was a big ...whew!!! We know that everyday that we have her...it is truly a miracle and a blessing. We know that the prayers and thoughtfulness offered in her behalf, coupled with the truly amazing and caring doctors and staff at the Comprehensive Cancer Center have been the key to getting our daughter through this so far. She is really in a "much better place" now compared to the advanced stage 4 condition she was in just last May. While we are rejoicing and are excited in her condition, we are also mindful of all those who's loved ones haven't experienced this kind of success in their treatment. We are constantly reminded of others who have....or are still struggling with this deadly disease. Kolby is not "out of the woods" yet either and we still have some more treatments and scans over the next 5 months that she still has to endure to try and remain in remission.

But if it is okay...we just want to celebrate a little...because today our daughter is in a "MUCH BETTER PLACE!!!

Comments

  1. Congratulations! I am so relieved! Not getting the answer to a prayer is OK because we know it can't always work out that way but when we get these results as have been shown with Kolby, it deepens everyone's faith more and more. I love your family and am happy that you get more days to spend with each other! :o) I hope things continue to go well for your sweet mom's recovery too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PRAISE GOD!!!!!!!!!This news is so beautiful. I love you guys!!!! I say celebrate alot. I will be praying for continued health for Kolby. I am also praying for your awesome Mom to be completely healed. It absolutely warms my heart that Kolby is doing so well. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Congrats! That's AMAZING news!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such great and relieving news that is certainly worthy of celebration! Hope you and your family have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Ferguson Family is overjoyed with this FANTASTIC news! Our prayers are for your continued good health!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am also overjoyed! I am so, so grateful for this wonderful news!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WHEW!!! I think we have all been holding our breath. Feels good to breath again. Celebrate like there is no tomorrow! And in 5 months we'll celebrate again!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. 5, 4, 3, 2, 1! It's going to be a great summer!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A little note from me, Kolby.

I want thank Kristi and Kylie for designing these T-Shirts. At first I didn't want my name on the shirt. I really do not like having the attention on me. But, after I saw them I really liked them. Thank you Kristi and Kylie. Also, thank you so much Vicki and Dale for making the t-shirts, you did a great job. I just love them. Thank you!!! This has been really hard on me. I wish I felt better and I want my healthy body back. I miss hanging out with my friends and doing the things I like. I also do not like it when I feel sick. The blisters in my throat and mouth are gone right now, but when I take chemo again I know they will come back. It has been nice feeling good these last few days. I haven't had to have chemo this week because of the scans. It is such a good feeling to feel good again. I never really appreciated my healthy body till now. The chemo makes me feel horrible. I have no energy. I feel nauseous all the time and I get horrible headaches. They hurt so bad. I get s

Father's Day

Today was a great day for our family. Kolby went to church. It was a challenge , but it was really important for Kolby to go to church today with her dad. She got up, got ready and she looked beautiful. I really wish I would have taken pictures of the girls with their dad, but we were in such a hurry to get off to church that I forgot. Next time I will for sure. She was pretty emotional at church. It was a lot for her to get ready and go to church for the first time in a while. She wanted to arrive a few minutes late, and leave a few minutes early. It is really hard for Kolby to see people, only because of all the different emotions she is feeling right now. She gets very emotional when people hug her and express their love and support. She loves it, but right now, she cries every time she has a new visitor or sees people. So, please do not get offended if Kolby is quiet when you see her or visit with her. It's just how she is right now, and that's ok . Everyone deals wit

ONE YEAR CANCER FREE!!!

I am beyond blessed! I finally hit my one year mark on May 22, 2012. After going through chemo for a year and waiting for the those cancer cells to be gone, I have been free from it for a whole year! I cant even begin to tell everyone how excited i am! For my one year, I did some of my favorite things. I went to lunch with Kylie at Panda Express, Outback for dinner with my dad and Gabby and then went and got ice cream at Baskin Robbins! :))