Skip to main content

Keeping Kolby



Kolby’s website was originally named so appropriately by Sarah Barlow, one of our family’s closest friends. I think that more than anything it describes this strong selfish desire we have… not to lose our daughter in this battle with NHL cancer. Today we won another round in that fight.

We got some results back from the cancer center today that had a lot of positive in it. Kolby’s new MRI and PET scans indicated that the cancer is on the retreat. Her tumors have reduced in size significantly as seen in the MRI photos, and the cancer cell activity has also dropped significantly. This is a good indication that the chemotherapy treatment is having a positive effect on her bone lesions and tumors. She still has mild patchy areas of disease on her sternum, anterior right first rib, anterior left 5th rib, in her lower vertebrate, and in her pelvic area. These areas still lit up on the PET scan, but the activity was greatly reduced. There was one area on her on her right first rib that has mildly increased in activity. Overall her condition has greatly improved and her doctor is pleased with her progress.

We have another treatment scheduled for Wednesday where we will discuss Kolby’s upcoming treatment regimen along, with her receiving another dose of the dreaded "Doxorubicin" chemo treatment. (That’s the red stuff that makes her really sick and gives her mouth and throat sores). Kolby is finished with her Induction period and is moving on to the Consolidation period. The Induction period was intense chemotherapy for 42 days. She now will have 7 ea. - 21 day cycles where she gets chemo on day 1 and then has 21 days until her next chemo treatment. After (7) cycles of that she will again be restaged and re-evaluated for treatment protocol. We anticipate moving onto the Maintenance cycle where she will receive a slightly lower dose of chemotherapy for 8 ea. additional 21 day cycles. That will take us through to summer of next year.

Another thing we will be doing this next week is sending all of her files and scans to UCLA Medical Center to be evaluated and prepped in the event that she needs a bone marrow transplant. That procedure is not available in Las Vegas. The need for that and radiation treatment are still real possibilities as we move forward in her treatment.

I have to tell you…as her Dad…keeping Kolby …here with us right now…means everything in the world to me!! I know that this has been really hard on that little girl, but I can’t bear the thought of losing her. I want to do all that I possibly can to keep her here with us. We have really appreciated all of the doctors and nurses who have participated in her care. They are giving their best in treating her disease and we want to recognize them. We also have been truly moved by all of tender expressions of love and concern from all of our friends and family. That has been just as important in Kolby’s treatment as any treatment protocol prescribed by a physician. Your prayers and kind words…is medicine with more healing power than any “Doxorubicin” drug could ever have.

I know that millions of people fight sickness, aliments, diseases everyday, and some even now face the doorway of death. It is all an essential part of this earth life experience that we were so excited to experience as children of a kind a loving Father in Heaven. But for right now…if it is all the same…I would like just one special wish.

For right now my wish is…that after all of this is over…that we are "Keeping Kolby."

I love ya squirt!!!
Dad

Comments

  1. CUTE little girl!!!!! And still a cute big girl :)

    John, thank you SO much for the update. I obviously don't want to be bothering you guys asking questions, but I DO want to know the details as a concerned friend. I really appreciate this post and knowing what's going on.

    I'm sure you know (well at least I HOPE you know) that if you guys should need ANYTHING, we would be there in the drop of a hat.

    Until you need something from us, our prayers are our biggest contributions along with our love!

    You're one amazing and loving daddy! :)

    Love, Taralee

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I forgot to mention that I'm SOOO happy that the results showed progress! Kolby, keep fighting with whatever it is you're fighting with. It's working!!! :) Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. John,
    Thank you so much for the the update. I have been checking FB & the Blog all day just waiting for the news. I am so encouraged to hear that the cancer is retreating. We pray as family for your beautiful Kolby everyday and I say little prayers for her everyday. We just love your family and if you need anything, even a Starbucks smoothie run I will do it. As soon as we are germ free we will be over to visit. Everyone has been sick in my home with cooties. I want you to know how much we care and want to Keep Kolby too. God bless your beautiful Kolby and your beautiful family
    Love,
    Stella Rincon

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always, Kolby is constantly in my prayers. I am so happy that the tests came back better than expected. KEEP FIGHTING KOLBY! You are all so strong and positive in this experience and each and every one of you will be better, stronger and wiser for all that you will all learn in this experience. I can't imagine being in this situation, let alone being so positive. Heavenly Father is aware of each of you and your individual circumstances through this whole process Kolby has to endure. And Kolby, you know as well, that Heavenly Father knew that YOU could handle this awful trial. You are such a strong spirit. Now you just have to "endure to the end" of all these treatments with your happy and positive spirit. This family is amazing. I hope you are all ok. My love and prayers are always with you.
    Love,
    Rebecca Hunt

    ReplyDelete
  5. YEAH!!! We also so deperately want your family to "Keep Kolby" and will continue to pray for her progress. Way to go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am SOOO excited that the test results showed improvement! Even though it's hard, things are working!! I love all of you and you are such an example of staying strong and full of faith through all of this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you for the update, and glad there is good news from the scans. I know a bit about living with cancer, just a bitty bit, I continue to live with's it shadow, and the outrageously wrenching stress of WAITING for the results of scans, and my heart goes out to your family. I can tell you that my life has been full and blessed with much joy amidst the occasional effects, so have GREAT HOPE! I always loved hearing other survivors tell me that, I hope you feel that hope and strength, also. You are in our prayers that many many tender mercies will wrap themselves around your whole family!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A little note from me, Kolby.

I want thank Kristi and Kylie for designing these T-Shirts. At first I didn't want my name on the shirt. I really do not like having the attention on me. But, after I saw them I really liked them. Thank you Kristi and Kylie. Also, thank you so much Vicki and Dale for making the t-shirts, you did a great job. I just love them. Thank you!!! This has been really hard on me. I wish I felt better and I want my healthy body back. I miss hanging out with my friends and doing the things I like. I also do not like it when I feel sick. The blisters in my throat and mouth are gone right now, but when I take chemo again I know they will come back. It has been nice feeling good these last few days. I haven't had to have chemo this week because of the scans. It is such a good feeling to feel good again. I never really appreciated my healthy body till now. The chemo makes me feel horrible. I have no energy. I feel nauseous all the time and I get horrible headaches. They hurt so bad. I get s

ONE YEAR CANCER FREE!!!

I am beyond blessed! I finally hit my one year mark on May 22, 2012. After going through chemo for a year and waiting for the those cancer cells to be gone, I have been free from it for a whole year! I cant even begin to tell everyone how excited i am! For my one year, I did some of my favorite things. I went to lunch with Kylie at Panda Express, Outback for dinner with my dad and Gabby and then went and got ice cream at Baskin Robbins! :))

Father's Day

Today was a great day for our family. Kolby went to church. It was a challenge , but it was really important for Kolby to go to church today with her dad. She got up, got ready and she looked beautiful. I really wish I would have taken pictures of the girls with their dad, but we were in such a hurry to get off to church that I forgot. Next time I will for sure. She was pretty emotional at church. It was a lot for her to get ready and go to church for the first time in a while. She wanted to arrive a few minutes late, and leave a few minutes early. It is really hard for Kolby to see people, only because of all the different emotions she is feeling right now. She gets very emotional when people hug her and express their love and support. She loves it, but right now, she cries every time she has a new visitor or sees people. So, please do not get offended if Kolby is quiet when you see her or visit with her. It's just how she is right now, and that's ok . Everyone deals wit