Skip to main content

Everyday Courage

Even though she is my baby girl…Kolby and I have always been the best of buds. We have this special look we give each other when her Mom starts chattering about something or another…and we just roll our eyes and smile and think…Oh Brother…here she goes!

(Sorry honey…we love you…this is just for her blog!!).

Dana has absolutely done an amazing job with this blog and it is a true testament of her love for her daughter and for our family.
I love each one of my girls and we all have a special father-daughter-friend relationship that I will treasure all the years of my life. Kolby just happens to be the baby and the one that is most like me. Kristi is a perfect mix of both Mom and Dad. She has Dana’s beauty and my brains. (Sorry honey…I love you…this is just for her blog!!). Kylie is bubbly and just plain fun! She is a carbon copy of her Mom, always positive and smiling. Kolby is a lot like me in a ton of ways…which we will not go into right now…except to say that she is plain AMAZING!!!!

I want however to tell you in one particular way…that we are different. For the last 4 years I have been teaching early morning seminary to high school students who attend Silverado High School. I love those students as if they were my own kids. Kolby and I drove every morning to seminary and she was such a sweetheart in my class, she not only helped in getting my classroom together, she always laughed at my corny jokes. We have had a great year together. Even though I was both her Dad and her seminary teacher, I think she learned a lot more about me and lessons about life this year than I was able to share with her in any time in our past.

But most recently for me the tables have turned and she has become the teacher. As a child Kolby suffered the loss of her baby sister with the entire associated trauma. She had a fall that broke her arm, and later an accident with her sister that broke her leg. She burned both hands as a child on the glass front of a roaring fireplace. She had a cousin gouge out a chunk of her eyeball and wore a patch for a while. The list goes on and on. We joke now about it and chalk it up to what we call…“Kolby's Luck”!

Words can’t express the feelings and emotions we have been going through lately as we struggle with the realization that somehow…someway Kolby now has cancer. Going through the numerous body scans, endless blood tests, biopsies and surgeries, things have been unbelievable to say the least. The floodgates of tears and emotions have been close to the surface every day since we got the news.

Kolby was previously under the weather for a few months, and prior to being diagnosed she waited until the discomfort and pain was completely unbearable before she told anyone. She spent the last couple months of the school year sick with Mono, but never missed any school or cheerleading because of her sense of personal responsibility and loyalty to her team. In the hospital the pain levels reached critical mass before someone noticed the tears streaming down her face and asked if she was in pain. Only then did she say that it was unbearable and that she needed help. You always needed to ask her if she is hurting because she will never volunteer it. Some may think that is silly to endure…but for me it is something more. She is so concerned about others that she forgets herself. She doesn’t want others to worry or stress. She carries her burdens quietly and in my opinion valiantly and bravely. She doesn’t see herself as more important or special than anyone else around her.

Despite the debilitating effects of her current chemo treatment, Kolby’s sweet spirit has never faltered, her concern for others, in spite of her condition, has never tired, and her determination to overcome this trial is unwavering. She has had a sense of humor when laughing was the last thing on anyone’s mind. Throughout her entire life she has endured more than her fair share of hardships and trauma, with little...if any…complaining or self pity.

So often we find ourselves complaining about the little things in life. In fact I remember hearing about a recent study that found that 74% of us find a reason to complain about something every day. Think about that. How often do we complain or indulge in self pity? You probably know some people who try to outdo your trial with their trials. They always seem to have a story that is worse than yours.

It is true that physical and spiritual trials provide continuing challenges in our lives. Most everyone could provide illustrations from personal experience. Many, for instance have already endured long and difficult days. Painful memories could be found in so many of our lives. You probably know well the meaning of that divine injunction to “endure to the end.”

But I think the lesson that I am learning from my daughter is… how are you enduring?

She has taught me what it means to be truly courageous. Hero’s long ago were men who fought with swords and armor. But today`s heroes are individuals who fight with valor on a daily basis through difficult life challenges. Kolby fights the battle with cancer, yet she does it with grace and maturity that surpasses her age. She acts like more of an adult than most adults do. Her battle and fears are Goliaths and my troubles in comparison when seen as they really are…are insignificant mosquitoes. (A nuisance for sure…but not close in comparison to what she has endured.) My daughter has taught me a life lesson on courage in the face of trials and affliction. I want to know what she knows…do as she does… so that I can become more like the person she has become.

We need such heroes who show us how to have everyday courage…because they remind us that, by comparison, our fears are often overblown and our own courage is really rarely tested. If you don't have a personal hero, now might be a good time to find one…they are in short supply.

I found one…and it happens to be my daughter…Kolby! I love you baby doll! Thank-you for being you!!

Love, Dad

Comments

  1. Such a wonderful post, John! Thanks for sharing on here too. Your entire family is SUCH an example and I think my new catch phrase will have to do with my trials being mere mosquitoes. You're a blessing to SO many, but I know Kolby loves you the most (well, probably right after Dana!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. John & Dana you are amazing! I can't say that enough. And Kolby is right there with you - AMAZING! John you ARE an amazing teacher - I can understand why Kolby really missed being at Seminary those last weeks. Clear back 17 years ago, you were always teaching in conversations (and you were young then!! :) ). Kolby, I'm sure has learned so much from you, she may have always been a strong girl, but yours and Dana's teaching have helped her to be amazingly even stronger. Every day, reading this blog, I continue to be in awe by the strong, yet humble spirit of the Crampton family. I love ya!! Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember sitting behind your family in church awhile back and realizing just how much Kolby looks like her dad! I had never really noticed before and the sudden realization was a shock to me. I remember making a comment to Dana about it. She agreed and then said that you were very much alike in more ways than just outward appearance.

    Kolby is very blessed to have such wonderful parents - both Dad AND Mom are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. After reading your post (this one and really all of them) I just want to say, thank you.

    Your words, your actions, your life and your love have taught me.

    Thank you John.
    Thank you Kolby.
    Thank you Dana.
    Thank you Kristi.
    Thank you Kylie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daddy-O, it was good to hear from you, too! Loved your thoughts!

    You're right, Dana does such a wonderful job with this blog. She is constantly:
    -pouring her heart out (which is probably very hard at times)
    -keeping people updated
    -and really documenting what is going on day to day

    But still, each persons thoughts are so special and unique. It's obvious that you guys have much love for one another and that is just one more thing to add to my list of reasons why I love you guys so much! (hope you never get sick of hearing me say that..cause I'm not done) ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A little note from me, Kolby.

I want thank Kristi and Kylie for designing these T-Shirts. At first I didn't want my name on the shirt. I really do not like having the attention on me. But, after I saw them I really liked them. Thank you Kristi and Kylie. Also, thank you so much Vicki and Dale for making the t-shirts, you did a great job. I just love them. Thank you!!! This has been really hard on me. I wish I felt better and I want my healthy body back. I miss hanging out with my friends and doing the things I like. I also do not like it when I feel sick. The blisters in my throat and mouth are gone right now, but when I take chemo again I know they will come back. It has been nice feeling good these last few days. I haven't had to have chemo this week because of the scans. It is such a good feeling to feel good again. I never really appreciated my healthy body till now. The chemo makes me feel horrible. I have no energy. I feel nauseous all the time and I get horrible headaches. They hurt so bad. I get s

Father's Day

Today was a great day for our family. Kolby went to church. It was a challenge , but it was really important for Kolby to go to church today with her dad. She got up, got ready and she looked beautiful. I really wish I would have taken pictures of the girls with their dad, but we were in such a hurry to get off to church that I forgot. Next time I will for sure. She was pretty emotional at church. It was a lot for her to get ready and go to church for the first time in a while. She wanted to arrive a few minutes late, and leave a few minutes early. It is really hard for Kolby to see people, only because of all the different emotions she is feeling right now. She gets very emotional when people hug her and express their love and support. She loves it, but right now, she cries every time she has a new visitor or sees people. So, please do not get offended if Kolby is quiet when you see her or visit with her. It's just how she is right now, and that's ok . Everyone deals wit

ONE YEAR CANCER FREE!!!

I am beyond blessed! I finally hit my one year mark on May 22, 2012. After going through chemo for a year and waiting for the those cancer cells to be gone, I have been free from it for a whole year! I cant even begin to tell everyone how excited i am! For my one year, I did some of my favorite things. I went to lunch with Kylie at Panda Express, Outback for dinner with my dad and Gabby and then went and got ice cream at Baskin Robbins! :))