Skip to main content

Very, Very Quiet Day

Kolby woke up this morning with more sores in her mouth. She now has blisters on her gums, cheeks and the inside of her lips. Her throat hurts just as bad. So I made her a fried egg. I thought I would put lots of love in her eggs this morning. When I showed her the heart eggs I made her it made her smile......SCORE!!! I always love seeing Kolby smile. She tried to eat it, but she couldn't. Instead, she slowly drank an Ensure with lots of ice in it.

Kolby is extra tired today. Again, she isn't talking that much. I got her to help me start making one of Kylie's gift we are giving her for her baby shower (can't tell yet, I know she'll read this and the surprise will be ruined). She helped me till she dozed off. I asked Kolby if she wanted to get out and see a movie tonight. I loved her response...it was a good one. She said she will go to the movies when she can eat her favorite candy. You know....you just can't go to the movies and not have your favorite candy. So, I can totally relate.
Kolby got up to go to the restroom and she complained that her leg hurt her really bad. I have to admit, when she complains about aches and pains it really freaks me out. It scares me literally to death. It reminds me of the pain in her back she had prior to her diagnosis. Her scan is this Wednesday to find out if the cancer is gone. If it isn't she will need to undergo a bone marrow transplant and she will have to continue the same chemo schedule as before. We sure hope and pray it is all gone and she will begin the 21 day chemo cycle. This past month has been a roller coaster of feelings. Poor Kolby has gone up and down with good days and bad. More bad than good. What kind of a summer is this for her? It's very hard for her family to see her suffer each day, and the suffering is even worse for Kolby. When I am at home with Kolby, I am in the "mom, caretaker mode" But when I leave the house and I get out, it really hits me what we are all going through. I am still in a state of shock that this has happened to Kolby. It breaks my heart. I walk around the stores and I think to myself, "my daughter has cancer!" That's all I think about. There are brief moments when it doesn't enter my mind. But that's it....my daughter has cancer and that is my whole life right now. I do not mean to sound selfish. The rest of my family feels the same way, it is just that I write on her blog. I not only speak for my self but for our whole family. It's our whole life and our every thought. Our whole lives revolve around Kolby and her care. I am not complaining....I am so thankful and blessed that I am able to be here with Kolby and take care of her. I would have it no other way. We sleep on the couch each night. I admit, I need to sleep by Kolby. When she does decide to go back to her room, I will be the one with separation anxiety.
The other day one of Kolby's elementary school friends, whom Kolby hasn't seen in years, sent Kolby a letter. It was such sweet, heart felt letter, that I just have to put it on her blog.
Dear Kolby,
I am stunned to hear about you sickness and I am so sorry that you have to go through this and I wish I would have known about this earlier. I know we haven't ever been close but I want you to know that I love you and will be praying for you and I would be more than happy to stop by if you're up to a visitor or even just to having someone sit with you. Whatever you need just ask.
You are so lucky to have close family and friends that love and care about and I know without a doubt that your Father in Heaven loves you more than all the love ever on the earth. He has prepared a way for you to go and do the things he has commanded and look your so great he even considering the fact that your to good to risk being in danger by the devil but at the same time he also knows you can handle it.
I know this letter isn't supper sugar coated but as you know life isn't but life is like a blow pop. You have to eat the yucky lollipop to get to the forever lasting bubble gum.
I know even though you were pretty reserved when we were younger that you are strong and can handle anything.
Call if you need something or someone and know that you are loved.
Love Kayla J. Helm
When Kolby receives letters like this, it lessens the pain, and she knows she is not enduring this trial alone. We know that life is a journey, and we are forever thankful that the Lord has blessed us with all of our family and friends to help us make it over the obstacles that come in our way. Thank you Kayla. You are a very sweet young lady, and you helped Kolby endure one more day in this journey of cancer!

Comments

  1. We're praying for good results Wednesday. We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dana,

    When Trent's dad was going through chemo, he had a prescription for the mouth sores that was similar to Kolby's cocktail, but it had lidocaine or something like that in it as an anesthetic, It helped quite a bit. Just a thought.

    We are praying for all of you.

    Cheri Jenkins

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dana, I appreciate the honesty you share here on the blog. I can only imagine the heartache that you feel as you care for your very sick daughter. I know you would take it all away if you could. I'm sure that that is what is so frustrating...that most of the time you feel completely helpless. However, because I know that you are a genuinely loving person, I know that you are a fabulous mom and caretaker :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A little note from me, Kolby.

I want thank Kristi and Kylie for designing these T-Shirts. At first I didn't want my name on the shirt. I really do not like having the attention on me. But, after I saw them I really liked them. Thank you Kristi and Kylie. Also, thank you so much Vicki and Dale for making the t-shirts, you did a great job. I just love them. Thank you!!! This has been really hard on me. I wish I felt better and I want my healthy body back. I miss hanging out with my friends and doing the things I like. I also do not like it when I feel sick. The blisters in my throat and mouth are gone right now, but when I take chemo again I know they will come back. It has been nice feeling good these last few days. I haven't had to have chemo this week because of the scans. It is such a good feeling to feel good again. I never really appreciated my healthy body till now. The chemo makes me feel horrible. I have no energy. I feel nauseous all the time and I get horrible headaches. They hurt so bad. I get s

Father's Day

Today was a great day for our family. Kolby went to church. It was a challenge , but it was really important for Kolby to go to church today with her dad. She got up, got ready and she looked beautiful. I really wish I would have taken pictures of the girls with their dad, but we were in such a hurry to get off to church that I forgot. Next time I will for sure. She was pretty emotional at church. It was a lot for her to get ready and go to church for the first time in a while. She wanted to arrive a few minutes late, and leave a few minutes early. It is really hard for Kolby to see people, only because of all the different emotions she is feeling right now. She gets very emotional when people hug her and express their love and support. She loves it, but right now, she cries every time she has a new visitor or sees people. So, please do not get offended if Kolby is quiet when you see her or visit with her. It's just how she is right now, and that's ok . Everyone deals wit

ONE YEAR CANCER FREE!!!

I am beyond blessed! I finally hit my one year mark on May 22, 2012. After going through chemo for a year and waiting for the those cancer cells to be gone, I have been free from it for a whole year! I cant even begin to tell everyone how excited i am! For my one year, I did some of my favorite things. I went to lunch with Kylie at Panda Express, Outback for dinner with my dad and Gabby and then went and got ice cream at Baskin Robbins! :))